Solid Landings, Sure Haven Program, Costa Mesa, CA Current
Primary Therapist Women’s Alternative Venue
Responsible for 8-10 clients providing individual and group therapy for Sure Haven Women’s Alternative Venue. Group facilitation is based on the Matrix Model for relapse prevention and interventions include art therapy directives with cognitive behavioral interventions and psycho-education. Responsibilities include creating assessments and treatment plans, weekly UR reviews, assisting clients in discharge planning and coordinating care with case management. Familiarity with 12-step model and Smart Recovery.
Department of Counselling Services, George Town, Cayman Islands 2011 to July 2014
Community-Based Counselor (tenure ending July 2014)
Deliver individual and group outpatient services to children, families, and adults within government counseling department, independently covering all clients located on Cayman Brac Island. Facilitate 3 substance abuse groups and work with clients in Fairbanks Women’s Prison. Write grants and participate in program development and community outreach efforts including Family Fun Day, Recovery Month, and Women’s Wellness.
- Introduced AVP, Cayman Islands’ first effort to reduce recidivism in prison system as well as violence in schools; achieve continued funding through grants and serve as program facilitator and trainer, educating 40 individuals in 6 key government agencies on AVP facilitator responsibilities.
- Created PowerPoint and co-presented lecture on the role of Department of Counselling Services in the Cayman Islands to Department of Children and Family Services.
- Directed highly successful Family Fun Day in 2013 attended by 100+ individuals in recovery.
- Partnered with Visual Arts Society to create and lead ongoing “Soul Collage” community outreach art project and teach art exploration classes with National Gallery for seniors and youth with disabilities.
- Consistently meet all output criteria including for clients serviced, groups facilitated, and assessments/reports completed.
Children’s Institute, Inc. (CII), Los Angeles, CA 2008 to 2011
Provided individual and group therapy on outpatient basis to at-risk children and their families to address variety of issues including ADHD, poverty, sexual abuse, neglect, and domestic and community violence. Employed CII’s holistic Integrated Service Model combining evidence-based clinical services, youth development programs, and family assistance. Supported guardians in fostering positive parenting skills.
- Utilized prior training in critical incident debriefing to hold incident sessions/interventions for traumatized clients as well as staff following significant crisis involving the police.
- Expanded counseling skills by achieving certifications in PCIT, Incredible Years, and Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
Davies Medical Group (Little Company of Mary Hospital Affiliate), San Pedro, CA 2007 to 2011
Enlisted on part-time basis to supply substance abuse, anxiety disorder, depression, and marital counseling primarily to adults and adolescents experiencing dual diagnoses and/or chronic mental health challenges. Held art therapy groups for couples.
- Researched accountable care organization (ACO) grants for doctor/practice owner.
American Red Cross – Psychological First Aid, Tehachapi State Prison, Cummings Valley, CA 2011
Volunteer – AVP
Participated in basic, advanced, and train-the-trainer AVP/conflict resolution programs for leading group sessions in prison settings.
- Co-facilitated AVP training at Chino Women’s Prison.
Riverside County Department of Mental Health, Indio & Cathedral City, CA 2004 to 2005, 2006 to 2007
Marriage & Family Therapist (2006 to 2007), Intern (2004 to 2005)
Progressed from intern to full-time therapist position after graduation. Managed cases for 52 clients encompassing children ranging in age from 4 to 17 and their families. Used cognitive behavioral therapy model to address ADHD, trauma, anxiety, enuresis/encopresis, substance abuse, relational problems, and conduct, mood, and adjustment disorders. Coordinated care with psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, family court officials, and allied health providers.
- Completed AB2726 assessments for school IEP mental health referrals and received training in writing 5150 crisis referrals for mandatory hospital holds.
- Co-led afterschool program for early adolescent males with conduct disorders.
Little Company of Mary Hospital & Peninsula Recovery Center, San Pedro, CA 2007
Clinical Art Therapist
Delivered intensive hospital outpatient, partial day, and inpatient therapy for clients including chemically dependent patients. Functioned as Case Manager and Patient Advocate/Liaison with insurance providers.
- Created and ran Peninsula Recovery Center’s first art therapy substance abuse program.
Rosie O’Donnell Children’s Foundation, Burbank, CA 2005
Served on crisis intervention team offering mental health services to victims of Hurricane Katrina in Baton Rouge, LA. Conducted trauma assessments within church-based emergency center and FEMA housing project.
- Devised school intervention program to resolve social friction.
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Thalian’s Mental Health Family Center, Los Angeles, CA 2005
Clinical Art Therapist Fellowship Program
Completed 6-month art therapy fellowship program following achievement of Master’s degree. Provided therapy to outpatient population within hospital setting including children, adolescents, and families. Participated in suicide assessment and crisis intervention training programs.
- Co-led adult eating disorder group and supplied court-mandated services for anger management.
Betty Ford Center, Rancho Mirage, CA 2004
Marriage & Family/Art Therapy Intern
Co-facilitated group therapy for adults affected by alcoholism and/or addiction to other substances. Delivered adjunctive individual art therapy in support of 12-step model of recovery.
- Introduced self-care awareness program using art therapy interventions and held clinical presentation on use of art therapy before center administration.
Eisenhower Medical Center, Rancho Mirage, CA 2002 to 2004
Director, Arts in Healthcare Program
Hired to create and lead new art program for area’s only not-for-profit hospital with 540 beds. Incorporated art, music, and aesthetics for both patients and staff to further support healing.
- Built Healing Arts Sub-Committee including hospital’s CEO, Foundation Director, Volunteer Director, oncology and nursing staff, and community liaisons.
- Designed and oversaw construction of art studio and Cancer Center’s healing garden.
- Trained artists and musicians on performing within a hospital setting.
- Coordinated hospital-wide staff art show.
Prior career in television production/writing for various programs including “NBC Nightly News,” “The Today Show,” and “Extra;” won Emmy Awards as Producer and Director of documentary and original play and American Medical Association’s Iris Award as Writer/Producer for educational series on end-of-life care